[CentOS] Re: Linux Trademarked?

Tue Aug 23 22:19:47 UTC 2005
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 17:57, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> > Read your GPL more closely.  GPL requires the software be
> > functional without additional requirements.  You do not need
> > a trademark for it to be functional.  The GPL does not
> > prohibit bundling of other software that has restrictions, as
> > long as the software does not require it to function.

> Err, I believe the problem is the other way. The trademark
> prohibits the use of the name in the source.

What source?  Other than the Linux kernel itself, what source has Linux in it?

As to the Linux kernel itself, isn't the primary copyright holder the same
person as the trademark holder? (Yes; Linus has both the main copyright and
the trademark; he doesn't have to have a trademark license to use the name in
his own software).

And let's not confuse trademark with copyright; they are two entirely
different things.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology