[CentOS] Re: Linux Trademarked?

Wed Aug 24 04:56:17 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 22:59 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I complete fail to understand your logic.

I noticed this.  ;->  It appears your engineers/developers did too, and
too late if I might add.

> How can a company have a written agreement about its own source?

You didn't.  You had a binding agreement on what IP usage of company B
was and was not appropriate, including its trademarks.  Company B could
be completely oblivious of your uses of even your own source code or
other uses of their trademark, until they found out about it.  That's
when there might be a problem.

> I don't know how to make it clear.

Of course not.  In your mind, company A's source code had nothing to do
with company B's trademarks.

But company A had agreed, _in_writting_, not to misappropriate various
IP of company B.  Most of these including not misappropriating
trademarks, even for internal-only usage.

> Company A and Company B had absolutely nothing to do with each other.
> Company A bought nothing from Company B.
> Company B bought nothing from Company A.
> Company A licensed nothing from Company B.
> Company B licensed nothing from Company A.

What did you mean by ... ???

  "Company A did license the executable, for execution only on
   proprietary hardware which it designed and manufactured."

> Perhaps this will help:
> Suppose you wrote some software, and called it SoftX in the
> comments in your source code. Suppose you sell SoftX, and
> use promotional literature using the term "SoftX".
> Later, without any relationship between us, (I in fact live
> in another country and know nothing about you) I trademark the
> term "SoftX" in my country, which has treaties with your country.
> Then I find out that you are using that term.
> I contact you, and instruct you that you are using my trademark,
> and insist that you cease and desist forthwith.
> THAT is what happened.

Wait, are you saying "company A" _did_ sell the software, with
promotional literature using the trademark, to the public?

I can't follow your comments at all.  Please use your A, B, C?, D?
nomenclature in more detail.

> P.S. I worked in Telecomm, where the license agreement for our
> software was $6,000,000.00 USD.

Oh, you definitely had a licensing agreement that forbid
misappropriation of trademarks.  ;->

But I'm still confused here.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com