[CentOS] 'Many' packages installed - CentOS 4.1

Thu Aug 25 15:34:49 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 11:14 -0400, John Hinton wrote:
> Tom Brown wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Installed my first CentOS box last night after coming from Whitebox -
> > This is perhaps me being stupid but on install i opted for 'Custom'
> > install as i prefer minimal and then build as i suit. I went through
> > the list of things to install and removed everything apart from
> > networking. Install happenned and tons of stull ended up being
> > installed including X openoffice and the like - Why was that when i
> > de-selected everything apart from networking? It was very much
> > bloatware and not what i want on a server.
> >
> > thanks for any hints
>
> First, this is RedHat's direction, not something specific to CentOS
> (just cloning you know).
>
> This has been my complaint with RedHat products for some time now (about
> rh 7.3 or so). CentOS is simply following that system. One of the things
> that's really hard to get rid of are the graphical interfaces.... RH
> manage this... RH manage that, which seems to make X-fonts install, but
> I'm not sure if this is all. You can turn them off in one place and then
> find them in set to install in at least one other situation. Got to turn
> them off all over the place. An install of el4 versions seems to force
> X, whether you want it or not, in spite of unchecking X.
>
> I hate to say it, but it reminds me of Winders! Bloatware... Yeah! More
> is better philosophy. I liked the rh 7.2 installation, where you
> selected your packages, it did a dependancies check, provided a list of
> what was going to be installed and the ability to go back and not
> install whatever it was that was forcing the other depends aps, or to
> accept those dependancies and go forward with the install. A great,
> although perhaps a bit techinical installation process. I suppose this
> is the price we pay for attempts at positioning the OS to the
> mainstream. It needs the more automated methods, but I'm still a bit
> upset that 'Custom Install' doesn't work like it used to and seems to
> get worse with each new release.
>
> I'm not so bothered by disk space as I am by more ways for intrusion.
> It's just more crap to keep updated... and stuff that never gets used. I
> do subscribe to the school of thought that it is best to stay within the
> official RPMs and enjoy the beauties of yum or up2date. That has been
> pretty darned reliable and greatly simplifies administation over
> multiple machines. I really don't enjoy removing packages after the
> install as it's pretty easy to break something doing that as well (and I
> love these things that are broken that you don't find out about for 3
> weeks, meanwhile... who knows what might be lost).
>
> So, OK... yeah, you hit on one of my nerves with what RH has done... but
> I'll live with it, but my 'score' for their OS gets reduced on this
> front as well.
>
> -----
> Score reductions for RH: (not to be confused with score reductions for
> [...]
----
John - you are rambling

RHEL 4 / CentOS 4 installs a very light package set  (and no X) if you
simply choose server. I think that there was mention of a special server
CD iso for installing a super light set and that it was working with
text install but not the GUI install. See the archives from a few weeks
ago - something like Server CD. I didn't even know one had existed.

You do have to be careful when you add stuff because some things will
cause a bunch of stuff to be installed as dependencies.

Craig