[CentOS] auto.fs

Thu Aug 25 21:26:47 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> If I automount my home directory from the LDAP server, am I
> gonna run into a mess with different versions of things
from
> the different systems (i.e. GNOME
> settings/evolution/firefox).

Correct.  So only automount /home when the client systems are
current.

> Is it gonna be much slower because my home directory is now
> gonna be an NFS mount and I have a 100BaseT connection to
my
> home directory?

Not always.  It really depends on how much /tmp is used for.
And don't forget that you can always put symlinks in your
home directory to local files.

The only thing that gets me is mail files (e.g., mbox).
Which is why I use IMAP for mail, and never store on a NFS
mount.  Otherwise, 100Mbps hasn't been much of an issue with
NFS mounted home directories.

When I need performance, then I use the local disk.  Which is
why I always create workstations that are also in my
automounter maps as "/home/systemname".