[CentOS] file system defragmentation

Fri Aug 26 14:18:22 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 08:19, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> Instead of rehashing this for the 23rd time on a list, I'll create a
> blog entry later this evening from my past posts.  I'll send you the
> link when I put it up.
>
> Short version:
> - Strict separation of binaries, data and temporary files
> - Reservation of disk space (filesystems never completely fill)
> - Allocation approaches of inode design filesystems

Please cover the common and difficult cases of many continuously
growing files and the situation where many small files have
been created and removed and those non-contiguous blocks are
now the only remaining space on the drive when you need to write
a large file.  And how to fix this after the fact...

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com