[CentOS] OT: CentOS server with 2 GbE links to 2 GbE switches

Fri Aug 26 16:02:18 UTC 2005
rado <rado at rivers-bend.com>

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 15:36 +0200, Patrick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to come up with an architecture that has some redundancy.
> The idea is to hook up the two GbE LAN interfaces of a CentOS server to
> two Gigabit Ethernet switches. In case one switch goes down, there is a
> redundant path (the server is redundant too). Here is the idea:
>
>                              -----------
>                             |    GbE    |
>  PCs            ------------|   switch  |------------
>   |            |             -----------             |
>   |   -----------------                        -----------------
>   ---| Workgoup Switch |                      | CentOS/Asterisk |
>   |   -----------------                        -----------------
>   |            |             -----------             |
>  VoIP           ------------|    GbE    |------------
> Phones                      |   switch  |
>                              -----------
>
> How would I acomplish this? Can I use IP addresses from one IP network
> (say 10.0.0.0/24) to assign to the 2 LAN ports on the CentOS server and
> a port on each of the GbE switches and then use something like OSPF on
> the switches and the CentOS box to do the routing? Any other ideas?
>
> Many thanks for your suggestions.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick
Hi Patrick,

I run a HA(High Availability) technique that I developed myself whereas
2 servers are redundant syncing up bout every 15-20 seconds. Basically
mine is IP oriented instead of machine oriented...either machine can be
the master and will stay the master until the slave deems the master as
having problems and not being able to handle the server
responsibilities. When the slave decides this, it then grabs the roaming
IP and turns on the servers and it is then the master.

If a redundant HA server is machine oriented, that means that, yes, the
slave will take over but as soon as the master comes back on line, the
master takes back the roaming ip and starts up the servers and the slave
machine will assume slave responsibilities again.

these are just some ideas of what you are looking for. Also, google
around using High Availability as a keyword...a bunch out there I think,
I am just about to the point to start building up my web-site where I
will cover my system in depth.

Incidently, over the last month or so, the main server seems to loose it
and decides to reboot in which case, the slave takes over...I have never
been around when it actually happened and sometimes I never even
realized it for a day or so. It's kinda seamless and the switch takes
bout 20 seconds. My point, I do know it works as it should!

John Rose