[CentOS] Onboard RAID Tyan Transport GT24 (Thunder K8SRE s2891)

Sun Aug 28 03:45:26 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

olinux <olnx at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been checking out this and like the looks of it.
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/gt24b2891.html
> I was told the onboard SATA RAID controller can only
> be used by windows. However, others have told me that
> there is no problem using it with linux.
> Anyone used the Tyan Transport GT24 (TYAN Thunder
> K8SRE s2891 motherboard)? Good choice for a CentOS
> server?

I have used the S2895, which has the exact same nForce Pro
2200 IC (as well as 2050 on CPU#2, which the S2891/92s do not
have).

The GPL nv_sata driver is in the _stock_ 2.6 kernel.  And I'm
fairly certain it has been backported in the RHEL/CentOS 3
2.4 kernels too.

No Native Command Queuing (NCQ) or Advanced Host Controller
Interface (AHCI) management, but those are largely overrated.
 If I want command queuing, I'm going to do it across
multiple disks with an intelligent ATA RAID controller (like
3Ware).