[CentOS] Trying to control the torrent of spam...

Mon Aug 29 15:52:57 UTC 2005
Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 16:32 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> That is my understanding as well.  I have been running spamassassin as a
> filter in an older version of evolution for the past couple of years.
> The bayesian filter catches all but a handful of spam that is sent to my
> accounts.  You will need to mark enough items as junk (about 200 I
> think) to get the bayesian filter to start tagging spam.  The big
> benefit of this is that it learns what you think is spam not someone
> else's idea.  It just takes enough samples to make it work as expected.

I'm just getting to that point now, I think. I was just trashing stuff
before. Now I'm marking it. It's starting to work better. I just need to
get SOMETHING working with fetchmail. Because when I'm away from home I
ssh into my home box and check email with fetchmail + pine.

> > I'm using fetchmail + pine and then evolution. Sendmail is somewhere in
> > there as it comes with CentOS. Not sure where to implement the
> > greylisting, though. I'll have to look that up.
>
> As I expected, in your setup you won't be able to setup greylisting.
> Your ISP would have to set it up on their MTA.  Your best option is to
> get bayes trained and possibly add a few selected rule sets to
> spamassassin from the rules emporium as mentioned before.

What about putting spamassassin in between fetchmail and the delivery? I
think I've done that before. I just can't remember how.

Preston