[CentOS] pop before smtp

Mon Aug 29 17:00:29 UTC 2005
Alan Hodgson <ahodgson at simkin.ca>

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 09:50:08AM -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Alan Hodgson <ahodgson at simkin.ca> wrote:
> > Sadly, SMTP auth on Postfix _feels_ like an even bigger
> > hack, due to the joy that is SASL.  It does work well once
> > you get it setup, but man it's a pain.
>
> Actually it's not.  It's a proper way to do it.
>
> Most people think SASL is a PITA.  But most of the pain is
> standard procedure for public key authentication.

Multiple versions, obtuse interaction with PAM, permissions issues, multiple
ways of using SASL (authdaemon or not) all make it much more difficult than it
needs to be, IMO.  And I've never set it up with the advanced methods, only
LOGIN and PLAIN, which I imagine most people would want it to work with to
be compatible with their POP/IMAP passwords (over SSL only, of course).

--
"The only difference between political parties is which group of their
friends will be receiving your money." - me