[CentOS] pop before smtp

Mon Aug 29 17:01:35 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 11:50, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Alan Hodgson <ahodgson at simkin.ca> wrote:
> > Sadly, SMTP auth on Postfix _feels_ like an even bigger
> > hack, due to the joy that is SASL.  It does work well once
> > you get it setup, but man it's a pain.
>
> Actually it's not.  It's a proper way to do it.
>
> Most people think SASL is a PITA.  But most of the pain is
> standard procedure for public key authentication.

The pain part has to do with having to recompile postfix to
have the feature.  I think it is already in sendmail as
shipped - you just have to rebuild the sendmail.cf and
run saslauthd.  But there is really nothing wrong with
smtp login or plain authentication as long as it is
done over ssl.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com