[CentOS] hardware RAID5 - MBR and default grub config on CentOS 4

Mon Aug 29 18:29:35 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

Robert Hanson <roberth at abbacomm.net> wrote:
> ok, i hear ya.
> when you get to the point in a CentOS install from CD or
> DVD it will ask you where you want to put boot or MBR or
> whatever it says

It asks you how you want LILO or GRUB (newer versions)
installed.

So it asks you if you want the MBR-bootstrap combination
(disk cylinder 0 plus bootstrap of / or /boot if its
separate) or if you just want the bootstrap (of the / or
/boot if its separate).

It's very important to note the difference.  Especially for
those that install multiple OSes -- especially multiple NT or
Linux versions.

> and i think it gives you two choices. i just got done with
> an install so i cannot actually see or recall exactly what
> it says yet something to the effect of and this is off
> the top of my head and i dont know if it is exact....

Typically says "beginning of disk" (MBR) or "beginning of
partition" (bootstrap).

> MBR			/dev/ida/c0d0
> /boot partition	/dev/ida/c0d0p1
> and that's it.

MBR being cylinder 0 of the disk device.