[CentOS] yum custom install

Mon Aug 29 20:43:50 UTC 2005
dan.trainor <dan.trainor at gmail.com>

Todd Cary wrote:
> I am trying to learn some of the in's and out's of yum, and thanks to
> the help of many on this forum, things are beginning to make more sense
> (though I still have a lot more to learn).  My initial Centos install
> was the "minimum".  From there I used yum grouplist and yum installgroup.
>
> However, one of the members helped me with using yum to install
> php-mysql and I just found on this forum php-gd (which I installed).  It
> appears one "just has to know about these packages" or have I missed
> something?
>
> Once I have an install that I like, can I save off the list of packages
> and use it the next time I do an install?
>
> Also, when I do a "yum list", I do not see the php-mysql or the php-gd
> listed.  Am I looking at the incorrect list?
>
> Todd

Todd -

If you're really wanting to go a bit more hardcore, look into a
Kickstart installation.  RedHat has plenty of information on their site
about this procedure.

I've taken it so far as to make my own custom install CD, which is about
428M in size.  These CDs also include some proprietary software that our
company makes.  Using this method, I can rest assured that the
installation will happen in the same manner on any number of these
machines, without a hitch.

It's also interesting to take a look at root's ~/anaconda-ks.cfg file.
This is almost exactly what a Kickstart configuration file looks like.
Looking at this file will give you an idea of which packagse, groups,
and other miscellaneous software is installed.

Hope that helps
-dant