[CentOS] Can't mount FAT32 partition

Tue Aug 30 17:55:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 13:12 -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 at 1:43am, Dave Gutteridge wrote
>
> > >does fdisk agree that it's a Fat volume? What type?
> >
> > >and I sort of agree with someone else's previous suggestion to see if
> > >you can mount it from command line first before trying to mount via
> > >fstab.
> > >
> > I tried exactly as they said, and got the same error anyway:
> > [root at localhost ~]# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
> >       or too many mounted file systems
>
> Are you *sure* that the FS on that partition is FAT32?  If this is your
> WinXP C: drive, I strongly suspect that it's NTFS.  For that you'll need
> the centosplus kernel, and you'd need to
> 'mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows'.

On WinXP, go to:

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management

Then click on "Disk Management"

Look at the drive and Partition in question.

What is the type?  If it is "Dynamic" and not "Basic" ... you have to
use the CentOS Plus kernel to mount it.

Also, you can see the "File System" in this area ... is it FAT32 for
that partition?

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes