[CentOS] why was LILO removed from centOS 4.2?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 14:57:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 02:41, Ulrik S. Kofod wrote:

> The "linux lilo" option (nearly) works. I'm doing a minimal install and the centOS
> 4.2 server CD crashed on me in the install process, something about files it
> couldn't find (didn't save the dump sorry), and when using centOS 4.2 CD #1 I need
> CD #3 aswell to get LILO.... I'm getting a little annoyed again :)

If you have a working machine while installing another one it
is much faster/easier to do an NFS install.  Just export the
directory where the downloaded ISO images reside, burn only
the first one, boot with 'linux askmethod' at the boot prompt,
pick NFS as the method and point it to the exported directory.
The installer does all the magic necessary to loopback mount
the images as needed so you don't have to wait around and
swap CDs.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com