[CentOS] why was LILO removed from centOS 4.2?

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 1 17:54:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 08:48 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Complaints about small things should be taken as a sign of
> overall success of the distribution.  It means the problems
> aren't big enough to give up or move to a different product
> and people's expectations have been raised.

I'm just surprised that what used to be an "upstream provider issue" and
left at that is a sprawling set of "bitches with no end" as of late.

I ignored the first few, then tried to respond to the next few, now I'm
not going to bother anymore -- people will talk on end about their
justification (which are often narrowminded), excessive workarounds
(that aren't necessary, but it's all they know), etc... while completely
ignoring what most of us do when we need such functionality (possibly
with a better solution -- or at least several that fit the bill).

Let's get the reality straight, these are upstream provider defaults and
they aren't going to change for that reason -- at least not in the stock
CentOS distribution.  So why do we see the bitching for the impossible?

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com