[CentOS] LDAP Implementations

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 2 00:38:08 UTC 2005

"William (Bill) E. T." <wtriest at chemistry.ohio-state.edu>
wrote:
> One of our strategic goals for this year is to switch from
> NIS to LDAP (which hasn't happened so far due to some
ancient
> Unix boxes).  Which should I investigate first OpenLDAP or
FDS?
> Can some one point me to pro's and cons?  (links very much
> appreciated)

FDS is NsDS, which has been a _long_time_ and is well
trusted.  It's synchronization with ADS is much, much better,
and removes the need to deal with a set of "glue together"
services just to get such.  The included certificate server
is a nice touch, although being truly open, you can still use
Kerberos and other authentication systems as well.

But probably the biggest boost to why NsDS is more viable for
most enterprises than OpenLDAP is Red Hat's license of it.
Red Hat really tried to make OpenLDAP work in its enterprise
services model, but in the end, it was well worth their
bother to pay $20M to open source NsDS.  Red Hat is behind it
100%, and that includes charging $15,000/server for what is
free in the same FDS you can download.