[CentOS] slow responding firewall server

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Fri Dec 2 09:34:54 UTC 2005

No,

hdparm -t gives you the uncached speed, -T gives you the cached speed:
hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   472 MB in  2.00 seconds = 235.68 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   62 MB in  3.06 seconds =  20.23 MB/sec

hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 Timing cached reads:   480 MB in  2.00 seconds = 239.80 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   62 MB in  3.03 seconds =  20.46 MB/sec

The disks are set the logical block assignments already, and anaconda,
detects the number of cylinders differently in the install, which makes
mirroring non symmetrical, trust me when on channel 1 and 2, I've
checked this in great detail, furthermore, simultaneous requests to both
drives isn't affecting performance as much as you imagine, here are the
results of a simultaneous hdparm test:

 Timing cached reads:    Timing cached reads:   272 MB in  2.01 seconds
= 135.08 MB/sec
340 MB in  2.01 seconds = 168.76 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   Timing buffered disk reads:   46 MB in
3.08 seconds =  14.93 MB/sec
 46 MB in  3.08 seconds =  14.92 MB/sec

[5]-  Done                    hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
[6]+  Done                    hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb

Also the old machine had them on the same channel two for the same reason.....

This isn't the issue, its something else.......

P.