[CentOS] LDAP Implementations

Bruno S. Delbono Bruno.S.Delbono at Mail.AC
Fri Dec 2 17:45:57 UTC 2005

Hello folks,

Just to chime in here:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:47:11 -0800 (PST), "Bryan J. Smith" <thebs413 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Until then, CentOS users should feel free to use the binary
> 7.1 release or the new 1.0 release as they feel appropriate.
> I'm sure the 1.0 will have more of a direct upgrade path,
> although both are network-level compatible and can directly
> replicate (which is why they say 1.0 is like a "7.2"
> release).

Yesterday, Sun also made their JES/Identity Server stack all free. From a few Sun internal mailing lists that I am subscribed to:

TO:  All Java Enterprise System Beta Evaluators

There is an exciting announcement posted at:
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-11/sunflash.20051130.1.html
that I would like to bring to your attention.  The title is:

"Sun Pioneers Shift to Free and Open Source Software; Builds on Success of Solaris by Announcing Java Enterprise System, Developer Tools and N1 Software are Available at No Cost"

"Combines Middleware, Tools and Management Components With Solaris to Create Consolidated, Multi-Platform Software Environment"

Thank you for your attention.

Eric Redmond
Solaris Enterprise System Beta PM

Further discussion on the iMS list, provided this info from Dan Newman:

On 1 Dec 2005 , at 10:20 AM, Chet Burgess wrote:

>     This announcement would seem to imply that they are going to
> open source the messaging server. Any of the dev types have any more
> details on if this is going to happen,

Yes, the goal is, over time, to open source JES including JES  Messaging Server.  What's
with the "over time"?  Well, our lawyers need to work with each point  product team to identify
and resolve any legal encumbrances.  Then some group somewhere has to  santize the code:
remove, shall we say, embarrassing comments and similar.  Our  lawyers, product managers,
and engineers already do a thorough job tracking of encumbrances;  however, it should be clear that in
such a situation you want to go back over everything with a fine  tooth comb less you accidentally
release someone else's (intellectual) property to the world as open  source.  So, that is the process
which has been happening and is continuing to happen.  I'm not aware  of a date for Messaging
Server but I hope that it indeed is open sourced and sooner rather  than later.   (Some time
back I started amusing myself by putting in random, weird comments  just so I can see what does
or doesn't get excised.)

So, soon one should be able to get not only Sun's Java Messaging Server (which incidently runs beautifully on CentOS ;-)), but also their Directory Server 5.2 with source code (under CDDL, I believe).

Hope that helps,

-Bruno