[CentOS] CentOS and Dell Support

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 4 22:55:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 15:47 -0500, Matt Morgan wrote:
> I'm a fairly experienced RH and Fedora user and admin looking to try
> CentOS for the first time. I have lots of experience with Dell servers
> and I'd like to stick with them.
>
> Although I'm sure it's not always strictly enforced, Dell claims that
> it won't provide warranty hardware support on servers installed with
> an un-Dell-supported OS (basically, anything other Windows, RH, and
> Suse). Are other CentOS admins successful in getting Dell to support
> their hardware? How does it work--do you just tell them it's RH?
>
> Also, any recommendations for which Dell PERC or Dell SATA RAID
> adapters can I expect to work nicely with CentOS?
>
> If, on the other hand, Dell gives you trouble for CentOS installs, and
> you have recommendations for other server vendors, let me know. In
> particular, one that can provide on-site warranty support in Toronto,
> Canada, would be great. I'm only interested in i386 architecture, by
> the way.
----
Dell is going to warranty the hardware - it doesn't have anything to do
with which OS you are using. You can't expect them to support an OS that
they don't support but I would bet that if the software issue is
something that wouldn't change from RHEL/CentOS - they wouldn't miss a
beat.

BTW - most of the PowerEdge stuff now can run the 86-64 as well as the
i386

Craig