[CentOS] yum vs. Alert Notification Tool

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 02:13:30 UTC 2005

On 12/4/05, Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net> wrote:
> > Current shadow-utils is indeed at 4.0.3-58. The mirrors I've checked
> > all have the updated version in the updates directory. Where have you
> > been looking, are you behind a caching proxy, etc?
>
> I keep a local CentOS repository by using rsync from the Georgia Tech
> server.  I also manually checked the ftp servers at Washington
> University in St. Louis and JTL Networks.  All three only have
> shadow-utils-4.0.3-53 in .../4.2/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS.  What am I
> missing?  Or did I just happen to pick three bad mirrors?

That's the base repository. If you're hosting a local mirror you might
consider rsyncing the updates directory as well.  .../4/updates/i386/

The base repository won't change until there's a new point release
(4.3), and you should probably use /4/ instead of /4.2/ to ensure that
you get the point release updates when they're released.

Also, the alert tool you're referring to uses sources listed in
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources, not the usual yum configs in
/etc/yum.repos.d/

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT