[CentOS] install

John Dangler

jdangler at atlantic.net
Mon Dec 5 06:36:34 UTC 2005

I just complete an install of 2.6.9-11.EL i686
On reboot, I get a couple of minor errors:
smartd [FAILED]  (not sure what this is)

and then an error saying that no X server could be started (I installed
using the graphical install and selected 'everything' as a first-time
install)

The error states:
(EE) VIA(0): No valid modes found.
According to the detail output, VIA seems to get loaded ok, then funs
through every possible video mode and fails with the following two lines
repeated for each mode:
(II) VIA(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (bad mode
clock/interface/doublescan)
(II) VIA(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (hsync out of range)
according to the output, it successfully reads a DEL Model 7004, and gives a
max h-image size of horz 31, vert 23 .
(it's a 15" display).

I'm not sure how to track this down.  Any input is appreciated.