[CentOS] slow usb hard disk performance.

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Mon Dec 5 19:13:43 UTC 2005

Ok here is the low down:

Machine 1:
PII 450 Compaq, with an Intel USB controller, this is the same dog
machine I just replaced in the previous thread
Kernel: 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL
512 Megs RAM
Don't know what the usb controller was but its Intel, and its USB 1
Speed: 1000K/sec consistent

Machine 2:
Intel 440GX+ in an SC5000 chassis 2 x PIII 1GHz CPU
00:12.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
1024 Megs RAM
Kernel: 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp
Speed: 1000K/sec consistent

Machine 3:
VIA C3 600MHz EPIA
Kernel : 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
512Megs RAM
Speed: 4.95M/sec consistent from a remote putty shell (via SSH)
Erratic when hdparm run from the text console....

I know these machines aren't bleeding edge but the VIA C3 box is the
intended target, its silent and fanless and smaller than the yellow
pages book by a fair margin.  It also has two nics onboard making it
ideal for a home firewall (its current use).

USB ports are arranged in two pairs, and I tried one socket in each,
from the LSPCI looks like only one of these is USB2 - cooments invited

/proc/CPUinfo shows the cpu at 400MHz not sure if this is accurate I
will check the BIOS as its supposed to be 600MHz.

If you're telling me 4.95Megs/sec is about tops then I might be able to
by that...

Ideas welcome....

Pete

If you reckon