[CentOS] slow usb hard disk performance.

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Mon Dec 5 20:56:27 UTC 2005

Robert wrote:

> Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
>>Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>>    for dir in bin boot etc home initrd lib lost+found misc
>>>opt root \
>>>               sbin selinux srv tftpboot \
>>>               usr var ; do
>>>      find /$dir -depth -print0 | cpio --null -pmd $UD/$DT
>>>      echo `date` Completed: /$dir >>$PF
>>>    done
>>>

>>That's not a good benchmark.  You're adding the overhead of
>>inode/tree traversal and all sorts of other factors.  You're
>>easily cutting performance by 2-3x over.
>>
>>Since USB 2.0 EHCI is capable of only 60MBps (480Mbps)
>>theoretical, and Intel openly admits that only 30MBps is
>>realistic, 8.8MBps is not unreasonable for this command.
>>
>>Try a "raw" dd from /dev/zero, that is at least 2x your
>>memory:
>>  dd if=/dev/zero of=(some file) bs=8M count=1000
>>
>>Or consider a bonnie benchmark.
>>

> I wasn't complaining, Bryan, simply responding.  Actually, having
> moved from a DAT-2 drive to the USB-connected disk, I'm happy as a pig
> in sh*t to be able to backup the whole thing unattended and have a
> reasonable expectation that the resulting wad of crud is good! (I'm
> still gonna burn /boot, /root, /home and /etc to DVD once a month,
> though.)
> Have a great day!

19 GiB in 36 minutes, I wouldn't be complaining either :-). I'm using
DDS-2 & 3, & they are MUCHO slower .... I do also backup across my
network to a sorta-spare HDD on another box, but use the DAT tapes for
remote storage. I might need to look into a firewire/USB disk for that
at those speeds :-).

--
	William A. Mahaffey III
	Remember, ignorance is bliss, but