[CentOS] Raid with one disk?

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 02:29:53 UTC 2005

On 12/5/05, Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
>  Is it possible to set up a single disk raid (kind of redundant to call a
> single disk an array) but I've got a single SATA drive in the machine not
> doing anything.  It's a 10k maxtor 74G drive, and what I really want is just
> to backup two home partitions.  I can always reinstall the OS, but the data
> can't be recovered that easily.  The mobo supports raid-0,1 and jbod.
> Suggestions?

Snowman

You can set up raid1 on a single disk if the intent is to add another
disk later on. When you add the second (or third) disk run mdadm and
get the disk recognised in to the "array"
Else as other have suggested rsync in cron will do an easier job of
backing up on regular basis and will take less than a minute if run it
regularly, say half hour.

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux