using Cyrus was Re: [CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Tue Dec 6 16:37:29 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 00:25 +0800, Feizhou wrote:
>
>>>Sounds like a classic case where postfix and CyrusIMAPD are going to be
>>>the best solution for this person - postfix with mysql is hosted in
>>>CentOSPlus, so you dont need to go "work out the schema" yourself, use
>>>Cyrus + Web-cyradmin + pam_mysql, and you are done.
>>
>>What does one do when the indexes for a mailbox gets hosed? I know of
>>one person who used cyrus and when it got hosed, he came running to me
>>to get him a mail system up and running pronto.
>
> ----
> generally - I would use...
>
> su - cyrus -c '/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/reconstruct -fr user.USERNAME'

ah. I guess that person had another problem then...probably this one
mentioned in the docs...

sorry, i have not used cyrus yet. thanks for the information craig.

Mailboxes File
The mailboxes file in the configuration directory is the most critical
file in the entire Cyrus IMAP system. It contains a sorted list of each
mailbox on the server, along with the mailboxes quota root and ACL.
Because the ACL is security-critical information that cannot be
reconstructed from information stored elsewhere, there is no program to
recover from a damaged mailboxes file.

To protect the contents of the mailboxes, we suggest making frequent,
even hourly backups of the mailboxes file to some other part of the disk.