[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:26:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 08:29, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> > Software-wise, I'd recommend sendmail with MimeDefang
> > unless the postfix/mailscanner combo has a way to
> > avoid starting a new copy of the scanners for each message.
> >

> MailScanner starts one copy of the scanners by batch of messages.

What does 'batch of messages' mean to a mail server?  Or more
relevant to performance, what kind of ratio of program starts
to messages do you expect and can you sort-circuit the startups
as soon as you know you are going to discard a virus?

MimeDefang runs as a sendmail milter that is always running
and doesn't need to restart for each message so it is
particularly efficient although spamassassin takes a certain
amount of CPU to run anyway.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com