[CentOS] slow usb hard disk performance.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:01:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 16:39, Matt Hyclak wrote:

> > The really brilliant part of amanda is the way it schedules the
> > mix of full and incremental runs each night to fill a tape of
> > a given size.  This works nicely when you have a large number
> > of small filesystems (relative to the tape size) but falls down
> > badly when a single full nearly fills the tape because it will
> > start streaming some small runs that are finished first, then
> > the big one won't fit, and even during amflushes it doesn't
> > know enough to put the big run on the tape first so you end up
> > with the small ones that can be grouped in a later amflush. The
> > tape spanning change may help a lot with this.
>
> You can also adjust the dumporder parameter to coerce amanda into doing all
> the biggest dumps first, or the longest dumps to complete, etc. etc.

But if you dump to holding disk, dumporder controls starting the
runs to disk.  Hmmm... Maybe 'taperalgo biggestfit' is what I what
but I don't see how that can work until the bigger dumps are finished
and the small ones are going to finish first. At least it should help
with flushes.  I guess I should read the docs every decade or so. I
don't think those options were there the last time I looked.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com