[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at suespammers.org
Wed Dec 7 00:30:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 01:52:18AM +0800, Feizhou wrote:
> >Me neither. I have been running e-mail server for so long, that I
> >really don't care about these "blackbox" solutions. They are more
> >trouble than they are worth.
>
> Except when they are well done. vpopmail, vmailmgr...don't exim also
> have something written for it to manage virtual mailboxes?

Exim itself does that.

And vpopmail is not a blackbox solution :)

> >Actually, as long as you have a sound base system (qmail, exim, postfix,
> >even zmailer), and someone with a few years experience, you can always
> >get a good system.
>
> where did sendmail go? =)

Got lost on the "sound base system" part :)

> >Actually, .forward provides intra-MTA routing instructions, not delivery
> >instructions :)
>
> Please stop muddling things for newbies. A line with a pipe in the
> .forward file means deliver mail to program through a pipe. A line with
> a path means deliver a copy to this mailbox and a line with an email
> address means forward a copy to the email address.
>
> You are mixing up 'mailertables' on sendmail, 'transports' on postfix
> and 'smtproutes' on qmail with .forward/.qmail local delivery
> instruction files.

No, I'm not. .forward/.qmail will provide instructions for the MTA.
They don't do delivery, so they are not a "local delivery system".

> >I agree "nothing to do" was a little strong worded, since everything
> >has to do with local delivery. That is, after all, what the whole
> >e-mail system is about.
>
> -_-. "intra-MTA routing" has nothing to do with local delivery...

Depend on the final routing target, which can be local delivery.

> >>Hmm...probably time to take this offlist if we continue :P
> >
> >Nah. No one started screaming yet, or even compared us to Bryan. So
> >we still have some room :)
>
> Anyway, nice to see that Bryan is still on the list.

LOL.

- --