[CentOS] Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Dec 7 04:35:58 UTC 2005

Chris Mauritz wrote:

> I'd suggest a gig of RAM and a gig of swap.  IDE disks are also cheap so
> it might be better to upgrade it to something like a 300 or 400gig drive
> now than to wait until you run out of space in the very near future.

Speaking of future disk expansions.  It might be smart move to place all
file systems (or at least /var/spool/imap) under LVM.  That way he can
simply add new disks into volume group, assign additional space to
logical volume where /var/spool/imap file system resides, and resize
file system to the new size of logical volume.  The only downtime would
be to physically attach new disk(s).  Everything after that can be
performed while the system is up and running (and users are using it).