[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at suespammers.org
Wed Dec 7 05:03:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 12:22:39PM +0800, Feizhou wrote:

> >>Except when they are well done. vpopmail, vmailmgr...don't exim also
> >>have something written for it to manage virtual mailboxes?
> >
> >Exim itself does that.
> >
> >And vpopmail is not a blackbox solution :)
>
> Ah, i wondered what you meant.

I mean those "install this package/use this script" solutions that
set everything up for you, configure, start services and so on.

> >No, I'm not. .forward/.qmail will provide instructions for the MTA.
> >They don't do delivery, so they are not a "local delivery system".
>
> Hmm...ok. dot-whatever != local delivery agent. I guess I should say it
> boils down to what qmail-local and its dot-qmail mechanism does compared
> with the pairing of sendmail's local mailer and its dot-forward
> mechanism and postfix's local (that is what its LDA is called) support
> of sendmail's dot-forward.

Perfect.

I didn't even remember qmail-local. From what I remember (obviously
wrong) local delivered was done by maildrop.

> >>-_-. "intra-MTA routing" has nothing to do with local delivery...
> >
> >Depend on the final routing target, which can be local delivery.
>
> =D. Got me there. The only exception being qmail...once a message is
> queued, its routing has been set whereas you can still change that if it
>  were postfix, sendmail and I guess exim.

Actually, exim gives you fine grain control over the whole
process, which actually helps you to understand who it works behind
the scenes (and sometimes makes configuration a hair-pulling
experience).

I can't really say how the whole transport-routing process
works for qmail. I tried to understand how it worked once,
and gave up after about 20 minutes.

And I guess here I reach the limit of tolerance the other
members have shown me on this issue, so I'll start replying
off-list :)

[]s

- --