[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Dec 7 07:13:16 UTC 2005

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> Pendrives ? Smartcards ?
>
> Trust me, you don't want to keep those students inboxes on the server.
> Without quota, you will never have enough disk.
> With quota, you will never have a second of peace.

Pendrives?  As in USB memory sticks?  You must be joking here, right?
At $50 per stick and 2,000 students, that's investment of $100,000.
Local retailers would sure love him (and you for suggesting something
like that).  I don't think his budget is anywhere near that amount.
Even if it was, for the price of a single stick, he could buy tens of
gigabytes of disk space.  For a price of 2000 sticks, he could buy so
much storage that he could support tens (hundreds?) thousands of user
without quotas.  Memory sticks are probably the single most expensive
storage device.  Not to mention that configuring email clients to use
sticks would be real support nightmare.

IMAP and centralized mail storage is solution for his problem.  And the
most inexpensive too.  Period.