[CentOS] How to recover data from a Windows Partition using CentOS?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:10:58 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, David Evennou <de at data-masters.com> wrote:
> Hello Members,
>
> While extracting a zip file using Win XP Pro, something happend to Windows
> and it just keeps rebooting. I can't get to safe mode because it reboots
> after gettiing through some of the sys drivers/files. This is a dual boot
> machine with CentOS 4. I may try to use the install disk to "repair"
> windows. If that does not work, how can I recover files from the Windows
> partition while booted in CentOS? Can I tell CentOS about another drive and
> simply mount it?
>
> TIA,
> David Evennou

Depends on the format of the windows partition. Much as I like to
preach about the benefits of centos, this is usually a task I keep a
current knoppix disk handy for. knoppix will have ntfs support, where
the centos install/rescue disk does not. There are several variations
of knoppix running around designed specifically for file/data
recovery. Basic recommendation is "don't use a screw driver as a
hammer".

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT