using Cyrus was Re: [CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at bullseye.tv
Wed Dec 7 14:16:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>> cyrus is such a pain, and requires more horsepower on a single box.
>> It is better to run five really crappy cheap servers using courier over
>> NFS
>>
>> if you are not a really experienced email admin, then stay away from
>> cyrus, but on the other hand, if you are an experienced email admin you
>> might like cyrus.
>>
>> Cyrus is nice when you have a couple servers with lots of horsepower IMHO,
>> courier is better for lots of crappy servers.
>
> FUD

speaking from experience. I have used both extensively, and both are
excellent, but I would not leave a cyrus installation in the hands of a
newbie, whereas courier is alot easier to support for people who do not
specialize in mail servers. I dont think its FUD to say that cyrus is
something that an advanced admin may prefer, and a nice thing about
courier is that if you find an old spare machine laying around it is very
easy to integrate into your mail cluster. And a failed courier box does
not affect the rest of the cluster. When a cyrus box fails, there is no
doubt downtime, and you need to know how to fix it as opposed to just
reinstalling another courier box and copying the config files.