using Cyrus was Re: [CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at bullseye.tv
Wed Dec 7 15:00:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Feizhou wrote:

>> to a courier cluster. If my boss said heres an old pentium, can you throw
>> it into the cyrus server pool it would not really help. Wheras throwing an
>> old server into a courier pool is very easy and the extra horsepower
>> gained is helpful.
>>
>> If I only had one machine I would use cyrus. It is more efficient, but if
>> I ever had the option of recycling secretaries computers for mail servers
>> I would use courier.
>
> ok...so...cyrus don't have a bunch of authdaemons, a tcp server that accepts
> connections and then forks a handler?
>
> it is less resource intensive perhaps due to less IMAP features?

less resource intensive becuase of the indexes, which are small databases
which contain information about the users mail. Don't make your choice
base on this alone, becuase it is not very easy to cluster cyrus servers.
If you only have one server then choose cyrus, but if you possibly are
able to accumulate older servers to cluster them, then choose courier.