using Cyrus was Re: [CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Dec 7 16:49:43 UTC 2005

Quoting Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>:

> a courier-imap/dovecot box would only just have to access a SAN and
> that is all there is to clustering. Multiple courier-imap/dovecot
> boxes hitting a database for user info and mailbox location and then
> hitting the san for the files. simple.

I think SAN is way out of reach of somebody who is left to build mail
server for
2000 users with only 40GB drive.

Anyhow, what if your SAN storage or NFS server goes down?  Your mailboxes go
down with it.  Hm, not much difference there.  You are just replacing one
component that might fail, with another component that might equally
fail. This is a rahter complicated issue, and there is no single way to
implement it.
Courier works for some folks.  Cyrus works for some folks.  They are
both good.
You choose one and after some time learn to live with its limitations.