[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at suespammers.org
Wed Dec 7 22:15:16 UTC 2005

Quick answer not to bother ther other subscribers too much.

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 03:17:51PM -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Quoting Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob at suespammers.org>:
>
> (Almost) everything I wrote in this thread was from perspective of getting
> something done inexpensively.  That is what OP asked in the first
> place.

As you might have noticed, this thread already drifted very far from
the OP. That is why it did split into 3 different thread (so far).

> >>Anyhow, I always hated
> >>people that are shifting responsibility they are paid to handle to
> >>somebody who
> >>is not supposed to have that responsibility in the first place.
> >
> >This is enough to show me it would be a waste of time to show the
> >flaws on your thinking. If you are looking at it emotionaly,
> >it is useless to explain anything to you.
>
> It's not emotional.  It is just what I think about people who choose to
> take the
> "screw the users" route.  Nothing emotional about it.  Just bussiness.
> You are
> there for the users and because of users.  If there were no users, there
> wouldn't be you.  I'm sure not the one suggesting to spend $100,000 (as
> opposed
> to $200 and a bit of time to initially setup backup system), for what
> really? Not to have to do something as basic and simple as elementary
> backup?

Who is saying "screw the users" ? Shifting responsibility is a far
different beast.

I'm sure you already implemented systems on this scale, but I
can't be sure (you never mentioned) if you ever administered on
like this.

It is VERY easy to reach 100K on maintenance costs for a year.
How much a single tech costs (plus taxes, benefits etc etc) ?

If you plan to do everything for the users, fine, but make sure
you have a very detailed "Terms of Service" agreement, and that you
get the users to sign it. If you don't, even time they delete one
e-mail by mistake, they will come running to you asking for you
to recover it. And on a 2K users base, you can bet it will happen
at least once a day. If you consider that it can take you up to
4 hours to restore it, it will cost you big.

Screw the users is what administrators usually say when users
delete their e-mails. "You deleted, your problem".

Shifting responsibility is not "screw the users". It is making
things clear for them.

Pendrives are not the only possible solution. You can have distributed
filesystems using multiple desktop computers, you can have smartcards,
SAN, or even paperwork and lectures. Each of those solutions (and others)
have different setup costs, and different TCOs, and both (and not only
setup costs) should be considered.

[]s

- --