[CentOS] Re: SMB server with CentOS 4

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 7 22:56:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 14:39 -0800, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> > With raw queues, it's my understanding - please correct me
> > if I'm wrong - that the printer drivers run on the client
> and
> > can store the device mode and printer driver data on the
> > server.
>
> No, this is completely _wrong_ -- even for native NT/2K[3]
> servers -- _unless_ the vendor provides such management in
> their drivers.  And then you can get into some really messy
> setups with multiple vendors *COUGH*Lexmark*COUGH*.
>
> All you can do is "share" the printer files from a native
> Windows print server, which are from the vendor.  It's up to
> the vendor to offer default settings at the server, which the
> client inherits.  I think you're spoiled with vendor logic,
> which is fine as long as you're only using 1 vendor's
> printers on a print server.
----
There is room for misinterpretation of what you are saying and the way
other people would believe would occur.

Official Samba documentation - How-TO - states,,,

"Now all the other users downloading and installing the driver the same
way (using Point'n'Print) will have the same defaults set for them. If
you miss this step, you'll get a lot of help desk calls from your users,
but maybe you like to talk to people."

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-
Collection/classicalprinting.html#prt-modeset

This would appear to be at odds with your statement. I have had no
problem propagating default settings to 'client' installs from printers
set up via APW/Point and Print on samba servers.
----

> > In this case, CUPS has no knowledge of any of the settings,
> > and Samba doesn't really understand them either - it treats
> > them as opaque data structures that it provides to Windwos
> > clients upon request.
>
> It doesn't matter what server is, you can have "raw" queues
> on Windows too.  If you have "raw" queues, the server doesn't
> understand what the client's sending to it.
>
> > At any rate, though, it works, and I've found it to be a
> > simpler setup than Postscript queues.  YMMV.
>
> I disagree entirely.  Maybe that's because you're using the
> crappy Microsoft Postscript driver.  ;->
>
> I always use the CUPS driver and, if its not compatible with
> the Windows version, the Adobe PS driver.  _Never_ that
> horrendous generic Postscript driver that Microsoft offers.
----
it would be hard to make an argument to use Microsoft's PostScript print
driver for anything other than the fact that it is built in.

Craig