[CentOS] Manual update

Steven Vishoot sir_funzone at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 18:59:51 UTC 2005

Maciej ¯enczykowski <maze at cela.pl> wrote:  To fix, just download the original glib2.rpm (from the CD/DVD? or from
the net) and install via
rpm --oldpackage -hvU glib2.....rpm
this will likely fix things for you...
as to how to keep both packages installed - no idea...

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Jean Lee wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem :).
>
> On my CentOS workstation, I had      glib2-2.4.7-1 installed.
> This is the last version which is provided by the CentOS distribution
> However, I need to install a software which requires an higher glib2 version
> so :
>
> I took the source of glib2-2.8.4-1 on the gtk+ web site and creates the rpm
> installation file with "chkinstall"
> I obtained the glib2-2.8.4-1.i386.rpm file
> Then I execute yum to update the glib2 package  :
>
> yum localupdate glib2-2.8.4-1.i386.rpm
>
> And know, I have a lot of problems. Surely because some library files where
> overwritten with the newer version files (Right or wrong ?)....
>
> Is there a way to recover the problem ? (Now, I can't launch a terminal under
> gnome)
>
> Well, I have broken the distribution and I feel that I will have to reinstall
> it.
>
> For the next time that I will try to update a package manually :
> Is there a safe way to update manually the glib2 library without crashing all
> the distribution ?
> Or is there a way to install the latest version of glib2 in order to have the
> two libraries versions installed (glib2-2.4.7-1 and glib2-2.8.4-1)?
> or something else ?????
>
> Thank you for your answers,
>
> Jean LEE

Hello,

  I thought there was a way to have separate packages like this on one  machine. IIRC you told rpm to place all files in a specific place and  then run you install your package to use that library. I can not  remember the specifics about how to do this since this was back in 1999  that i remember reading/doing this. I might be totally wrong with this.  if anyone remembers this trick, because i dont have the instructions or  any idea where to look for this.

Steven

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."