[CentOS] Selecting a compatible motherboard

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 17:56:54 UTC 2005

On 12/10/05, Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> One of my servers is not compatible with Centos 4, so I want to replace
> the motherboard with a compatible one.  I came across this site and
> would appreciate any comments on whether I can rely on selecting a board
> that is listed as compatible with Unix?
>
> http://www.dealtime.com/xPP-motherboards--asustek~V-rows
>
> For instance, the ASUS P5P800 Motherboard?
>
> Thank you....
>
> Todd

Just because the board is listed as Unix/Linux compatible doesn't
always mean it'll work with your particular distribution. Their job is
to sell, so if the drivers are in the latest kernel, even in beta
it'll be listed as compatible. It may not necessarily be STABLE
however, or even compatible with your particular distribution
depending on what kernel version they're at, or what modules/drivers
are enabled in the kernel. You'd be better off checking what you're
looking at against the redhat hardware compatiblity list.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT