[CentOS] building a new kernel, problems booting without initrd

Richard Hubbell

richard.hubbell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 23:37:50 UTC 2005

Hello all,

Grabbed a new kernel (from kernel.org) to build a custom kernel
but it won't boot.  I followed the directions at redhat to setup a box without
initrd (which I don't want and don't need to use). But the system hangs.
Has anyone built a custom kernel without using initrd? I'm using CentOS 4.2.
It hangs at or after "Freeing unused memory"

Thanks.

excerpt from the page:
(http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/)

Udev without initrd

Install Fedore Core as usual and reboot. Execute the following commands

mkdir /tmp/dev
mount --move /dev /tmp/dev
sbin/MAKEDEV null console zero
mount --move /tmp/dev /dev

Install your kernel without an initrd. Reboot.

You will get some SELinux errors, and syslogd will not work as expected.