[CentOS] bacula on centos

Vanja Hrustic vanja at pobox.com
Mon Dec 12 10:15:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:57:22 -0600
Salvatore Enrico Indiogine <hindiogine at gmail.com> wrote:

To answer your previous question - Bacula works fine on CentOS. I am
using it (compiled from source, had no problems) with hard disk storage
(not tape), but it shouldn't make any difference.

> Is anyone using a Quantum tape drive with CentOS 4.2?
>
> Will the OS create /dev/nst0 and /dev/sga and /dev/sgb automatically?
>  They do not appear on my install.

Do lsmod and see what modules are loaded.

Depending what you need/want, issue:

modprobe st
modprobe sg

Check dmesg output, and see if tape got detected.

Is it SCSI tape, btw? What controller (if it is SCSI) are you using, on
what machine?

If using cciss (HP Proliant DL3[68]0 G4 series, for example) on
SmartArray 6i, you'll need to issue something like:

echo "engage scsi" > /proc/driver/cciss/cciss0

In order for drive to be detected. st module will be loaded
automatically (if I remember correctly) after this command.

> I am liking CentOS a lot and I am installing it on all our Linux
> computers.  This is the only thing so far that is giving me problems.

I lost a bit of nerves few days ago trying to make HP DAT72x6
Autoloader visible to CentOS. But my problem was HP SCSI controller and
command that I had to issue (mentioned above :).

Other than that, I had no troubles with tape drives on Linux.

Good luck :)

Vanja