[CentOS] Re: SMB server with CentOS 4

Ugo Bellavance ugob at camo-route.com
Mon Dec 12 12:44:50 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 00:40 -0500, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

<snip>

>> The drives will be used one week over 2.
>
> What are you doing about long-term retention?  Off-site?

Probaly rsync over ssh to my home server.

>> Number of servers: 1 for the moment.
>
> Then you can just use local UNIX accounts.  No directory server necessary.

Ok.

>> The prod server will be in colo.
>> Types of users: see above.  Amount of users: ~ 10 for now, may grow up
>> to 20 max within 24 months. Reason for SMB : file/print sharing.  CVS
>> details?  What do you need to know exactly?  We are using CVS over SSH,
>> Eclipse with ssh keys being the client.  The developpers work sometimes
>> in the office, sometimes from home, connected to a vpn (the endpoint is
>> a m0n0wall firewall).  The developpers have a Xampp setup on their
>> laptops and develop there, then test on the staging server, then put it
>> in prod.  The staging server is also the development MySQL server.  I'd
>> like to use OpenXchange to have a mail/calendar/etc solution that can
>> work with current tools (outlook :().
>
> I'm very partial to OpenGroupware.ORG (OGo).  OGo has a long way to go
> to be "easily installable," but it's the most flexible and open and
> _rich_ backend with _server_ side scheduling I've ever seen.

<snipped part about ogo>

I tried installing Ogo.  Really not easy.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but
there is barely no install doc for RHEL...

> OpenGroupware.ORG (SKYRiX 4.1) architecture:
>   http://www.opengroupware.org/en/devs/docs/OGoArchitecture.html

Thanks for the link.

I just realized that horde is available in extras.  It seems to be
supporting PDA/outlook syncs.  What do you think about it?

>> The server is a dual Athlon MP 1800, 1 gB RAM, 3 ware 7006-LP card in
>> RAID 1 with 80 gB PATA HDDs + 1(X2) 200 GB removable hard drive (this
>> server is also a backup server for a few servers for now, but this will
>> probably change.
>> Please let me know if you need more details.
>> Thanks for your input ;).
>
> Yeah, if you're 1 server, don't worry about a directory service just
> yet.  Just use local accounts to get up'n running for now, then look at
> a directory service later -- especially when you have more time.

Ok, fiew!  :).

> Don't read all the Kerberos/OpenLDAP info on ADS.  It's not required to
> run a Samba domain to XP clients, if you only have Samba servers.

Ok, thanks

--
Ugo

irrelevant parts in your replies.