[CentOS] Seagate NCQ + Sil3112 (sata_sil)

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Tue Dec 13 14:20:36 UTC 2005

Feizhou wrote:

> Peter Kitchener wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I have a problem with a new Seagate hard disk. The problem occurs
>> when i go to install CentOS, i insert the cd and start the boot up
>> process, when it gets to the section where it detects the hard disks,
>> the driver is seems crashes, the message it produces complains about
>> no one caring about a interrupt on IRQ11. The hard disk is a Seagate
>> 200GB 8MB SATA150 NCQ drive, on a SilliconImage 3112 PCI adapter
>> card. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>

> Seagate and Silicon Image are a not very well known disaster
> combination due to unclear specificitions which led to varying
> implementations.
>
> The only idea possible is get another card or another brand of disk.

I ran into somewhat the same problem with an install, and got the same
type of irq 11 message, which happened to be for that machine, a USB
hub.  If I recall right, in order to get the thing to install, I had to
use the noacpi and a few other commands, but once I figured out what was
killing things, the install process went ahead.  Realize this is
probably not much help, but I wouldn't toss the disk just yet.  There
has to be something that can be done to get it installed.

--
Snowman