[CentOS] compaq r4000 /proc/cpuinfo reports 997 and should be 2400

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Tue Dec 13 20:38:28 UTC 2005

Jerry Geis wrote:
>/ Hi
/>/
/>/ I have a compaq R4000 with the 2.4GIG AMD 64 bit. 4000+ rated.
/>/ proc cpuinfo reports
/>/
/>/ cpu Mhz as 997.481
/>/
/cpuspeed is doing the speed stepping.

do this:  dmesg |grep -i powernow

to gain some insight

>/ Do I have to run the 64 bit version to have things run correctly?
/
nope
>/ I just have the normal 4.2 loaded at this time.
/>/
/>/ The laptop seems slow for 4000+ as reflected by the cpu Mhz also.
/I would guess it's a combination of throttled CPU and slow hard disk.

>/ Any thoughts on running the 32 bit version of 4.2 vs the 64 bit
/>/ version of 4.2?
/why buy a 64bit system if you aren't going to use a 64bit OS?

dmesg | grep -i powernow
didnt give me much...

ACPI: SSDT (v001 PTLD POWERNOW 0x0604000 LTP 0x00001) @ 0x3fefeec0

I am just running the 32 bit version now until which time I can download
the 64 bit. I need a bigger pipe....

I just wanted to see what the machine would do while I waited... :)

Jerry