[CentOS] compaq r4000 32 bit and 64 bit install

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Tue Dec 13 22:18:41 UTC 2005

Gents,

I first installed the 32 bit version (as you might have read) of centos 4.2,
after downloading x86_64 the install process/progress is about the same.
going VERY slow...

The screen for formatting the partitions took a LONG time
(3 partitions 10 GIG, 2 GIG swap and 50 GIG).
While on that screen and moving the mouse it lagged big time and
could not keep up.

Anyway just reporting that so far the 32 bit install and the 64 bit install
is Exactly the same. So I am expecting that after install my cpu speed will
still be reported LOW (997M vs a 2.4GiG for a 4000+ cpu).

Any experiences out there with the 64 bit amd and maximizing speed when
plugged in whould be appreciated.

Jerry