[CentOS] Seagate NCQ + Sil3112 (sata_sil)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Dec 14 02:49:00 UTC 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 19:35, Peter Kitchener wrote:
> I have a problem with a new Seagate hard disk. The problem occurs when i
> go to install CentOS, i insert the cd and start the boot up process,
> when it gets to the section where it detects the hard disks, the driver
> is seems crashes, the message it produces complains about no one caring
> about a interrupt on IRQ11. The hard disk is a Seagate 200GB 8MB SATA150
> NCQ drive, on a SilliconImage 3112 PCI adapter card. Does anyone have
> any ideas?

I have seen the exact same error (on IRQ 10) with a Maxtor SATA drive on a
Silicon Image controller.  Let's see:
00:0b.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid]
Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
        I/O ports at 9000 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 9400 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 9800 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 9c00 [size=4]
        I/O ports at a000 [size=16]
        Memory at ee180000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]

Motherboard is a VIA KT400, Soyo DRAGON Platinum IIRC.

Everything is OK until I put a SATA drive on the controller, and then it won't
boot.  Machine is running right now just fine, using PATA drives.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology