[CentOS] How to select a motherboard

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 15 16:18:26 UTC 2005

Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> I need to replace my current board since it has "fake RAID"
> (Abit BE7-RAID) and Centos will not install.  The disks are
> IDE.  Once it is up, I just let it run and run...nothing
> special.

Haven't seen anything on-board with "true" hardware RAID.  In
more rare cases, you have to add a RAID logic board to use
the on-board SATA or SCSI channels as such.  The Intel ICH7-R
and nVidia MCP-04 are absolutely attrocious at their
"F"RAID-5 under Windows.  Figure sub-15MBps write with even 4
x 7200rpm drives.

Now there does seem to be a whole slew of "pseudo-RAID"
solutions coming out for not only PCI-X, but even PCIe.  The
HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 uses its HPT601 "XOR off-load
engine" with a 4 or 8-port Marvell SATA logic+PHY IC.  No
DRAM buffer, no formal microcontroller, the benchmarks do
well against even hardware RAID controllers -- although I'd
like to see I/O interconnect load (hard to benchmark in
Linux).