[CentOS] How to select a motherboard -- CPU architectures and chipsets

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 15 17:29:17 UTC 2005

Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:
> Ok, thank you for your explanation. I guess that is why we
> had to get one particular rise from one particular
> manufacturer.

Yep.

> I am sorry Bryan but we seem to have some misunderstanding.
> 3ware is on Intel 7500 motherboards.

Really?  You can get an Intel E7500 chipset with 3Ware?
Cool!  Which models?

> The VIA issue is something else entirely.

Oh, I know.

> Tell that to the one who picked the board.

Oh, I've seen all sorts of such "selections" in my time.

> Yes :)

Seems like the typo bug is going around.  ;->
[ Okay, I admit, I hold the record -- by a wide margin ]

> Nforce4 Ultra and above support command queueing according
> to them.

They wish.  ;->

Then again, the ATA "controller" is rather "dumb" -- the NCQ
is on the IDE of the end-device.  It's not like SCSI where
there's an intelligent, hardware host.

The AHCI is supposed to be the software/host equivalent of
controlling up to 32 ATA devices with commands, etc...  But I
haven't seen much work well in that regard on even Windows.

> Yes...where possible. Their SATA/NCQ implementation
> apparently does not allow them to provide specs or
something.

Really?  Hmmm, I thought the libata guys were pretty happy
with them.  I could be wrong, as it's been 2nd hand
commentary.