[CentOS] Belking USB KVM switch & the unresponsive mouse - it works now

Ron Jones

ron.jones at rej.us
Sat Dec 17 06:06:15 UTC 2005

>>Tried switching ports on KVM?

I didn't think of that, so on your suggestion, I did try it, but still didn't get any love from the mouse

>>when booting, let the boot process finish before you switch
>>ports. Other than that, my two belkin 6 porters work like a champ!
>>Hope that helps....

You know... I can't explain it, but it works.  I was really hoping to be able to offer back a set of clearly defined steps to follow in order to resolve this question (I really like it when I see them, so I try to do that whole 'golden rule thing).

I let the computer boot completely, leaving the kvm set on my linux box for the entire cycle.  Upon logging in and entering 'startx' I thought for a moment that it didn't work, and the mouse was still sitting there, unresponsive in the center of the screen.  However, after a few seconds, I noticed that it moved.

I had occasion to add a new UPS to the server last night, and when I restarted, I did NOT set the KVM to view the CentOS screen.  Instead, I was busy with some work on my Windows desktop.  When I switched over to take a look, I noticed that after starting up the X server, my mouse worked just fine.  It figures!

Unfortunately, it kind of "just works" now, I don't know whether it's in the completion of the boot cycle before switching over, or whether there are other factors involved.

>>They had a firmware patch for the kvm on the site,
>>but it wasn't exactly a painless progress to update the firmware.

Thanks, I didn't know that, I hope that I don't need it.

Ron Jones
Alpharetta, GA