[CentOS] Install problems for a Toshiba NW24XCD

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Dec 18 02:46:36 UTC 2005

I am trying to install Centos on my old Portege 2490CT.  Actually a
pretty good box, but it does not support USB booting.  Only HDD, FDD
(interestingly a USB device), 'CD-Rom', or LAN.

The only CDroms I have is a nice USB drive and an old PCMCIA toshiba
NW24XCD drive.

I have not gotten this system to boot off of my USB CDrom.  It will
boot of the NW24XCD.

So I put the CentOS disk 1 in the drive and boot.  Boot seems to go
OK, it asks my the language preferences but then gives me the dialog:

What type of Media contains the packages to be installed?

When I select CDrom I get the dialog:

Unable to find may devices of the type neededfor this installation
type.  Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver disk?

And there is a list of a bunch of drivers.

I have a hunch that my PCMCIA NW24XCD is not a standard supported drive.  :(

So what from the list do I select?  Or where do I get a driver disk?

POI:  I am not a Unix skilled person.  I can get by with VI and the
like, but otherwises I just have not devoted the time needed...

HELP?